Thursday, April 2, 2009

Writing and Reviewing

I've had a wonderful writing week. Things have flowed freely, and I've been able to find more time to write than I ever imagined. It has been so productive. I cranked out two chapters in my main work, the big project. I even had a breakthrough for that one scene that just wouldn't come together; it's there now. I wrote a short piece for a contest. I wrote a short little book for my nephew's fourth birthday. And I have found great inspiration for plots, characters, dialogue .... just about everything .... in my everyday life. It has been an amazing week, a week filled with the feeling that I can really make this writing thing work.

And then it arrived.

An acquaintance of mine is ready to submit a manuscript for publication. He/she has worked on this for well over a decade. Many, many people have reviewed the work at different stages, and this is all I have heard about since we met. I wasn't going to get the chance to read it until it was ready for submission so that fresh eyes would be looking over the MS. There has been so much build up to this moment that I just couldn't wait much longer.

I should have waited. I struggled through the first few pages. I'm fighting my way through with an open, honest mind. I know I have to finish it and give my critique to the author. So many people have already read this work and loved it. I have to be honest, but how do I tell someone who has spent years on this MS that I can't find any good in it? The plot is thin. The characters are shallow (not developed). The grammar is horrible. The sentences are all short and choppy. I don't think that this author has ever heard of a comma or a semi-colon or a conjunction. Most sentences are six words or less, and very few paragraphs are over four sentences. Every piece of dialogue is attributed with Jane said or John said or something similar and bland and repetitious. Every line, even when it is clear who is speaking. The writing does not flow freely, and there is nothing to hook the reader. If the MS had arrived yesterday I would have thought is was an April Fools Day prank, but unfortunately I've had it all week. It's not a joke.

I am trying to find some positive in the work because I don't want to just tear this to shreds. But I have to be honest because agents and editors and publishers will be. The author is the type of person who can be a bit intimidating, and I think friends and family and critique groups are afraid to be too honest with him/her. So, should I be the honest one before the MS is submitted?

I am really struggling with this right now. I don't want to crush the hopes of this author, but I also don't want to be misleading. I would want someone to be honest with me. But would I welcome brutal honesty when so many others have praised my work? This is really making me rethink all of the writing that I've done to this point. If the MS I'm reviewing is getting praised and I can't find good in it, am I really a good writer or am I wasting my time? Is this MS the type that will be published while my work will be rejected time and time again? Do I really stand a chance as a writer?

I know that it is important to have my writing read and critiqued by a variety of people, those in the writing world and those who aren't. Will I be able to trust critiques of others if this author isn't receiving honest critiques?

I guess I have to do it; I have to read the MS in full and be open to it. I need to reread it. I need to find some positive in it, and then I need to share both the positive and the negative with the author, as hard as that may be. I can't lie, but I can be creative in the way I present my review. Everyone has different tastes and writing styles, so I just need to point out what I would change and let the author weigh my review against the others received. In the end, it's not my manuscript or my life's work. It is not up to me to decide the outcome. All I can do is be honest and supportive. I wish the best to this author and all other writers out there trying to make dreams become reality.

(And for the record, the author of the manuscript to be critiqued has no idea about my blog.)

5 comments:

septembermom said...

I think you are right to review the manuscript honestly and critically. It is better not to mislead this author if the manuscript is not effectively reaching the reader in a positive way. Maybe you can start a constructive dialogue and help each other to continue to grow as writers. Congratulations to you on your personal success in reaching many of your writing goals this week!

Dan Felstead said...

Faith,
I had to visit your blog..I will tell you why in just a minute but first I want to wish you the best of luck with your writing...I would love to be able to say "I enjoyed Faith's writings long before she became famous"!

It seems that we think along the same lines. When you posted on PPP about finding your grandfathers watch...I had to write the prequel. Today...we wrote about the same person although one male and one female...strange?

Dan

Michelle said...

I just need to say that when I read what you wrote today on one-minute writer, it brought a tear to my eye. I just gave birth to our third baby on March 11th and if life wasn't already crazy, it sure is now! My life is made up of moments like what you wrote. And then one simple thing happens...my 8-year-old draws a beautiful picture of me, my 3-year-old gets out of her chair and stops eating to come give me a big hug and tell me she loves me, my husband wakes up with the kids saturday morning and makes a delicious brunch...and I'm reminded of how worth it it is to have a life full of crazy moments. Thanks for your writing!

Faith said...

Update on my review: The author contacted me on Thursday night and asked me to hold off on my review. Revisions were being made based on another review received. I've been waiting for the new version, and it has just arrived. I've opened it, and so far I don't notice any changes. I still have hope, though. I will be honest and just hope that it is taken with an open mind. I will keep you all updated. Thanks for the advice, septembermom.

Dan, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! Isn't it strange when someone you don't know is thinking the same things, along the same lines? Were we twins in a past life?

Michelle, I'm glad you enjoyed the writing. It was fiction for me, but I think it was a reality for my mom. Taking care of a house with three kids (much like yourself), I'm sure Mom often felt like that. She was home with us all day, every day. She never yelled. She never let us know that she was stressed. But I know she had to have been. We tried to be good kids, but we were three kids, each two years apart. Not easy. But Dad was always good about doing things for her, little things and big things. And he made sure that we did the same. Moms are special people, and I hope that one day I am blessed to be among that group. Enjoy your little ones, and cherish those little surprise moments.

Whitney said...

Think positive, constructive criticism. No problem with that, right? It is all about word choice. Good luck!