Thursday, April 9, 2009

Is it all about the elevator?

It's now only two weeks until my first conference. I'm starting to get nervous because I have no idea what to expect. I'm trying desperately to have something complete (realistically into or complete with the second draft). Even if I don't get the wonderful chance to officially pitch to someone, I want to be able to promote my work. Meeting an agent in an elevator, sitting with a publisher at dinner, sharing with other authors. There will be so many chances to talk with people, and I want to be ready. The local writing group is having some pitch-practice sessions before the conference. Just yesterday they added three more opportunities for practicing. I want everything to be rehearsed. I want to be prepared for every question that may arise. But I also want it to flow freely and sound natural. I want to have that succinct two or three sentence pitch ready to go for those elevator rides. Yet I still want to be relaxed enough and open enough to enjoy the conference.

So many past attendees are throwing out all these ideas and suggestions about how to pitch, where to meet people, how to sell, sell, sell the writing. They are all making it sound like that the entire conference happens in the lounge, the meals, the elevator. I'm starting to wonder if there is anything to the sessions?! No one has mentioned anything about what they learned from listening to this presentation, sitting in on that session. Why do people attend and pay for the conference if everything seems to just happen in the hotel hallways? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just book a room for a few days and ride the elevator up and down?

I want to pitch. I want to network. But at my first conference I would like to know that there are educational opportunities and not just networking opportunities. If one doesn't learn how to write and what the current writing market is, how will one have anything to pitch? I need to learn; we all do. If everyone already knew everything about the writing world, wouldn't everyone have a book deal?

3 comments:

Chase said...

All too true.
I've been to many conferences (unfortunately, none for writing... yet). And there is certainly a memorable intensity that flows within the event halls.

Go there, take notes, fill a notepad (or two) and be excited about doing so. If that's your first focus, the networking will flow naturally.

(I've enjoyed stumbling on your blog! Hope to see a review of the event.)

Faith said...

Hi Chase! Thanks for stumbling over here. I am excited about the conference and plan to take a few notepads. I really want to make the most of it. And yeah, I'm going to review the event here and share whatever knowledge I gain.

Thanks!

septembermom said...

Faith,

I look forward to reading about your experience at the conference. I hope you gain valuable insight and make some great connections.
Good luck:)