Thursday, March 19, 2009

Character Revelations

My writing is going well, but something strange has happened: my main character has become a stranger, or more like a new acquaintance I'm getting to know. I'm not really sure how it happened, but she is starting to reveal things to me that I never thought up. It's as if she is unfolding before me, letting me into her world. The more I write, the more she reveals. And the more I am surprised at these things. My character has taken over my story. Or taken over my telling of her story.

I'm learning more about her background and her wishes, things that had not been considered until she unveiled them. I love it when a character does that in a book I'm reading. But this? Now, in a story I am writing? It's fun, but I'm not sure if she is taking me down the right path.

But this is her story, and I am simply the author. She will tell me what she wants me to know, wants me to reveal. And if I have to change my story to fit her desires, so be it.

She is starting to whisper to me again ..... I must go listen to her now.

2 comments:

septembermom said...

I hope this character revelation continues to surprise and inspire you. I'm sure the character will have such depth and dimension after you finish her story. I just posted a poem the other day about the poem taking over the poet. What is written drives the creativity. An interesting idea.

Chase said...

Fascinating. I'm so intrigued by the novel-process of breathing life into characters, and then letting them live.