I attended a Beginning Writers' Workshop this past Saturday. A local writer's group invited an author to speak briefly to new writers about writing and more in depth on the business side of writing. Covered in the workshop was a multitude of topics ranging from: genres and sub genres; how to get started (premise, character/goal/conflict); determining point of view; and developing structure in the 'how to start' section -- to self-editing; word counts (and the various ways that publishing houses may want words to be counted); critique groups; writing successful query letters and cover letters; choosing which contests to enter and submission advice; finding an agent; and how to interpret rejection letters and/or scoring sheets of contests.
During the breaks and after the event, some of us were able to speak with the presenter about some of the business issues we've pondered. Topics like choosing a pen name (some publishing houses assign a pen name (they then own your name and anything written under it); at what point does our writing hobby become a concern to the government (putting "author" as career title on taxes); and if planning (or hoping for) a sequel/trilogy/etc., do all of the books need to be written in advance of the first contact, submit the first and mention the hope for future books, or submit just the first part and hope that they would like to have a sequel.
This woman was open and willing to share all of the information she had, didn't hold back on anything. She pointed out things that she had done wrong and how we could learn from that. She shared both positive and negative experiences with agents, editors and publishers. She answered the simplest questions from the very beginning writers, to the more advanced questions of those who have submitted and are waiting for feedback.
Belonging to a group like this is so helpful. Everyone is at a different level with their writing progress (some have published, some have never written a word). And everyone is welcoming and invites others to open up about their writing and their progress.
I haven't reached the stage where I am ready to share my writing with them yet, but I have shared some of the story lines and general information about the works I'm writing. And in time, I will print out a few pages and attend the monthly critique group, share my words with them.
After all, what good does it do me to write, write, write if I am unwilling to share with others? Write, write, write; share, share, share; PUBLISH, PUBLISH, PUBLISH.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
This is always helpful and hopeful to know. I attend a book club, a writing club and write, write and write. At first I needed to write now I realize it is my solace, my time to be at peace. I have several pieces published via local newspaper. But I will take it. It gives me HOPE. I have yet to compile anything to give it to an agent or editor, publisher. Baby steps....I believe one day I will be published. Thank you!!!
Post a Comment