Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Next Piece of Writing

Things have been busy at my place lately. And my mother is coming to visit for the month of June (yes, the entire month .... and that is a good thing). So with all the busy-ness and the visiting and the work with the board of directors of the writers' group (that just keeps piling up and piling up) and everything else in my life, something has to go. I'm busy all the time.

Now, normally I like to be busy. But this kind of busy? Well, this kind of busy is hindering my writing. That is the one thing that is dependent on only me, and I am the only one who is affected if the writing gets done or doesn't.

BUT I WANT TO WRITE. It kills me to think it, but I have to give something up. And the only thing that I can relinquish at this time is the board position. I haven't even been on the board for six months, and I already have to step down. Not good. But, even though I am the only person responsible for that position, the items still have not been turned over to me which doesn't make me feel too bad about it on that level. The person previously responsible for the position still holds all files, all computer programs and databases, everything, and in order to do the work, we have to schedule time for me to work on it, instead of on my schedule.

That is taking up way too much time in my life right now. And writing is again sliding towards the back burner. And I don't want that to happen. Ever.

So my next piece of writing is going to be my letter to the Board of Directors informing them of my decision to step down from my position.

3 comments:

septembermom said...

You are right to follow your passion for writing. You have a gift that you must keep alive creatively. Keep writing Faith, but don't worry if real life makes you take a break once in a while. I'm sure that you are "writing in your head" all the time:) Have a nice visit with your mom.

Faith said...

Thanks, and you are right: I am always writing. In my head. On my digital voice recorder I carry around. Notebooks. Scraps of paper. This position was supposed to be about 8 hours a month. It is actually 20 hours a week. I don't mind real life getting away once in a while, but the board position is for two years. And once everything is handed over, who knows what the time commitment would be each week.

Anyway, thank you for the encouragement. Mom arrives on Wednesday ... and I can hardly wait!

Unknown said...

I agree with septembermom, if your passion is for writing then write and enjoy the journey. Its a terrible waste of creative talent when things go on the backburner, especially writing. Writing has its own form of freedom that almost nothing else can give you, its like your own private escape. Good luck with all your writing endeavours btw! : )